Lentil Soup

I very frequently make lentil soup. Chris's mother gave her a family recipe years ago and I've been toying with it ever since.  It's really easy to do because lentils taste great without any help whatsoever from herbs or spices (although I do add them, obviously). But this is how I made it most recently.

As a side note, I have been SUPER CRAZY BUSY with all kinds of projects. Summertime Sippers is coming along very nicely. I made a fantastic sangria last week that I can't wait to share with friends and family. My mother will be coming to visit on April 4th so I've been trying to come up with a list of things to do and places to bring her. She seems most excited to eat at our local food trucks, many of which are entirely vegan, so I'm looking forward to sharing that with the interwebz as well.

Chris and I are also planning a trip to California, where she considers herself to be from. Her grandmother also lives there. Funny story, a few months ago when we were looking into when would be a good time to go, she received an email newsletter from the Artichoke Aficionados Club telling her about the annual artichoke festival in Castroville. Well, we forgot all about it, requested time off from work, and when we started making our itinerary realized that we're going to be there the weekend of the festival! Go figure! We are particularly excited just for that. Artichoke nerrrddsss.....

Anyway, it's time for a recipe!

INGREDIENTS 
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced onion
4 carrots, sliced thinly
1 bag dry lentils
1 cup sauce
8 cups water
1 bullion cube (to make 2 cups broth)
1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, oregano 
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped black olive
1/4 cup vegan white wine (consult Barnivore in order to find one for you)

DIRECTIONS
In a large, non-stick pot, sauté the garlic and onion in a small amount of olive oil and on medium heat until the garlic begins to brown and the onion turns yellow or translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook on low heat for 45 minutes to one hour, until the soup has the consistency you prefer. I like it to still have liquidity to it. Chris prefers it to be really thick. To each their own!

Makes 6-8 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment