Spinach Sin-Quesadillas

So, if you follow me on Facebook you would have seen that I set up a photo studio on my dining room table last week. Well, I've been taking a lot of pictures over there, but I haven't shared any with you yet. Until now!

Food photography can be challenging if you don't have the right equipment. I'll get into the setup I'm using as I continue to experiment with it. It isn't perfect, but I'm working on a budget and I think most other people are as well. You have to work with what you can get (ie: AFFORD!).

In any case, I made these "quesadillas" a little while ago. You may recall that I got a panini press for Christmas. I hadn't used it in awhile. The whole gluten-free diet thing makes it one of those appliances that doesn't get used much. I wanted to grill up something tasty and after thinking on what to use, I came up with this recipe. I'm calling it "Spinach Sin-Quesadillas" (as in quesadillas minus queso...), otherwise known as "how two people can eat a bag of spinach in one night."

INGREDIENTS
1 6 ounce package fresh baby spinach
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
1 tablespoon chopped black olives
1 green pepper, diced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup tomato sauce

4-6 6-inch whole wheat tortillas

DIRECTIONS
In a large, non-stick pot, warm 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and diced green pepper and cook for a few minutes, until the pepper begins to soften and the garlic starts to brown. Add all of the remaining ingredients, increase the cooking heat slightly, and cook until the spinach has wilted completely and the water from the vegetables and sauce has reduced almost entirely.

Microwave your tortillas for 45 seconds. Spread a few spoonfuls of the spinach mixture to one half of each tortilla shell. Fold the other half over the spinach mix. Grill on a preheated panini press for 3-5 minutes. Serve with frozen or homemade oven fries. I drizzled lemon juice and olive oil over mine and sprinkled them with paprika and garlic salt before cooking. Yum!

Makes 4-6 tortillas (2-4 servings).


No comments:

Post a Comment