The Vegan Yacht; Here Be Vegan Food, Yarr

It's been a month since my mom, Chris, and I went to the Vegan Yacht for lunch after walking along a trail on Town Lake Easter weekend, but I'm still very much remembering the delicious experience.

Austin is quite well-known for its food trucks. The city has a lot of vegan options when it comes to trailer food. I have to admit, the Vegan Yacht is the only one I've been to. I live in North Austin and I work full time (mainly evenings), I hate traffic, and it takes a lot of effort for me to get downtown and/or other neighborhoods where I can find such trailers. But mom was in town, Chris and I had been wanting to get to the Yacht since forever, and we just had to take the opportunity.

None of us were disappointed.

As mentioned previously, Mom ate nearly 100% vegan food on her visit here and with no complaints. She's foodventurous (I hope I had something to do with it) and after having seen food trucks on TV (on Bethenney Ever After, I think) she just had to go to one while she was able to.

The Vegan Yacht has a small but varied menu. Options include wraps, tacos, sandwiches, smoothies, and bowls. The three of us had a hard time picking out what to get and we even decided to get different things and share. Except that didn't happen when we actually sat down and started eating! Mom ordered a sandwich  Chris got tacos, and I ordered their infamous "Freeto Burrito." Here comes a big picture to show it off...




It was really SO good. If you aren't familiar with "Frito pie" then the concept may seem a little strange. Basically, it's vegan chili with veggies and corn chips wrapped in a tortilla shell and grilled. You can add cheddar Daiya cheese, too. I abstained that time, but I'll be trying it WITH upon my next visit. Regardless, it is PERFECT whichever way you slice it. Wholesome, flavorful, and filling. Highly recommended.

The Vegan Yacht has also moved since we visited. The original location was on E 6th. They're now on E 12th. Here's what the old location looked like. 

Honestly, I love this place. We were going to go there on the way home from seeing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Saturday night, but we didn't get out of the show until close to 11 (they're only open until 9). 

For more information about the Vegan Yacht, visit their website. I'm particularly fond of their FAQ page... "No microwaves or fried shit." Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment