Vegan Cherry Sherbet

I've been swooning over this minor decadence throughout my social networking outlets; on Facebook, and Twitter, and Instagram (where my followers have already had a sneak peak). But now it's time to share with you my very first original vegan ice cream recipe.

Now, I don't regularly post recipes for sweets. Despite my extra prominent sweet tooth, I try not to indulge too much and the best way to do that is to neither buy indulgences nor concoct them at home. But I've set up a few goals for the lizz delicious blog for the summer inspired by my most popular posts thus far. And if you guys like sweets, I can't deny you them completely!

It's already in the mid-90s here in Texas (off and on, anyway) and I nearly always think about ice cream when it's hot outside. I make my own vegan frozen desserts at home. My mom gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday last year and I've used it many, many times. When I started thinking about summer and Texas and things I could share with you, it occurred to me that I haven't had sherbet since going vegan back in 1998. It's true! And I thought that a shame. Sherbet's fantastic! It's light but sweet and still creamy. And, try as I might, I couldn't find a recipe online that seemed like it would work for me. Most were too complicated, requiring more time in the kitchen than I particularly wanted. I mean, I'm already going out of my way to freeze my ice cream canister core, making an ice cream mix on the stove, waiting for it to cool, and then letting my ice cream machine do its thing for 20 minutes or so, and then waiting even more; why also burden myself with extra steps? So, after thinking about my options, I dove in and came up with this recipe.

I love it; it's sweet, tart, fruity, and creamy all at the same time. It does freeze a bit solid after a full 24 hours, so definitely let it sit for 5-10 minutes before scraping out your bowlful. I do recommend using an ice cream maker for this. A lot of people say you can try freezing the mix in a container and stirring it every 1-2 hours, though my attempts at that were always unsuccessful. The process I use for mine is usually running the machine for 20 minutes, moving the ice cream to an airtight container, and then allowing it to freeze completely (around 2 hours) before serving. 



INGREDIENTS
2 cups soymilk 
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2/3-3/4 cups evaporated cane juice or sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups cherry juice (I used Cheribundi)
1 tablespoon amaretto liquor (I prefer Amaretto di Amore)

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, whisk the arrowroot powder with 1/2 cup of the soymilk. I very often use arrowroot powder in place of eggs. It is virtually flavorless and gives baked goods and frozen things a smooth consistency. 

In a medium saucepan, heat the soymilk, lemon juice, and sugar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil, stirring frequently. When the mixture starts to boil, ensure that the sugar is dissolved, and then add the cherry juice and arrowroot powder mixture and stir. Let cool for a few moments before adding the amaretto, otherwise the alcohol may burn off from the heat. Whisk all of the ingredients well. 

Let chill in your refrigerator for 2 hours or in your freezer for 1. Whisk once more to break up any chunks formed during cooling prior to sending it through your ice cream maker. Follow the instructions on the machine and enjoy!

Makes approximately 1 quart.

NOTE: A bowl of this vegan cherry sherbet tastes great topped with chocolate chunks, vegan marshmallows, or a little grenadine syrup!

As usual, please let me know what you think of this recipe! Pin it and share it! Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment