Hospitality Cookies

Hey everyone! I'm in such a great mood today! I had so much fun bringing my friend Jen and her sister Regina to the Vegan Yacht yesterday. They seemed to really enjoy it, too, which is far more important than my level of fun-ness. I got to meet Regina's new puppy, too. He's a sweetie. Jen also went with me to pick up my camera from UPS! Woo hoo! It's awesome, by the way. 

Very different from the old SLR, though. It'll definitely take some getting used to. For instance, when I set up my studio space to take these pictures, I took my glasses off out of habit... The new camera has an LCD display instead of a viewfinder. Glasses friendly. Neat. It works really well in low light, too, which means I could probably bring it with me out to dinner and be able to take pictures with it instead of my phone! We'll see. But I've only had it since yesterday afternoon and I already feel like it was worth the $300 I spent on it.

Now all I have to do is get better lighting equipment...

Anyway, I'm sure you're here for recipes and not photography talk! Today I decided to come up with a recipe for my next bookVegan Gifts In A Jar. I  like molasses a lot and wanted to have some sort of molasses cookie recipe in the book. I wanted it to have a twist, though, so in addition to having a lovely molasses flavor, these little gems also have chocolate in them! And some spices. They're definitely a unique flavor that I've never had before and I love them dearly. I hope you do, too. 

When I first popped some of the dough into my mouth for a taste test, visions of an old-fashioned general store came to mind. Or a grandmother's house- full of hospitality! Molasses just reminds me of Americana and bluegrass. I don't know why! Moving on...

As mentioned, this recipe will be in my book Vegan Gifts In A Jar. Now, this is just the recipe. I'll be adding instructions on how to make it a "gift in a jar" later on. Enjoy eating them in the meantime!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup vegan butter
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons soymilk

DIRECTIONS
Soften your butter, either by leaving it out or by cutting it into a few pieces and microwaving it at 70 percent powder for 45 seconds. Combine the softened butter with the molasses, vanilla, and milk until you reach a creamy, peanut buttery consistency.

Add the dry ingredients and mix well. You will have a very dense dough that keeps its shape when rolled but doesn't crumble when smooshed!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spoon dough, one tablespoon at a time, rolling it into a ball in your hands and flattening it with your palm on the cookie sheet. If desired, roll each dough ball in powdered sugar first, or use a fork to make criss-crosses on the tops of each once they're flattened.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly firmed to the touch. Let cool for five minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes approximately 16 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment