Citrus Green Tea Sangria

I just had the best homemade meal ever. Chris and I have been craving some grilled foods and I took it upon myself to make it happen today. We got ourselves some ears of corn, some fresh artichokes, and I even got myself some mushrooms (she hates those, by the way). To celebrate, I decided to make some sangria. And because I've been sharing my love of tea with everyone this month, I chose to use green tea as an ingredient in it.

This recipe was really fantabulous, I swear. It's perfect for those of you who want to like wine but are still on the fence about it. It's also just great, period. Very citrusy, with a hint of green tea and a gentle burst of fermented grape flavor.

Just don't forget, not all wine is actually vegan-friendly. When shopping for wine, I log on to Barnivore and search for the brands I encounter at whatever store I'm at. For locals, the wines made at Becker Vineyards in Stonewall, Texas are all vegan-friendly. They're also extremely good. I typically use Chardonnay for white wine sangria and Merlot for reds. Regardless of your opinion on wine, I hope you like this recipe as much as I did. Let me know what you think! And if you like it, you can find two more recipes similar to it in my book of bodacious bevvies, Summertime Sippers. Cheers!

INGREDIENTS
1 cups water
4 green tea bags
3 limes
3 honey tangerines
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 cups white wine (a 750 mL bottle)
1/4 cup triple sec

DIRECTIONS
Bring the cup of water to a boil in a microwave safe liquid measuring cup. Add the tea bags and let steep for five minutes. Remove the tea and squeeze the excess water out. Be careful! The tea bags will be hot. Add the agave nectar and stir until thoroughly combined. Pour this tea concentrate into a 1 liter or larger container or pitcher.

Take one of the limes and cut it in half. Cut in half again and slice. Add these lime wedges to the pitcher with the tea concentrate. Take one of the tangerines and cut it widthwise into slices. If your tangerines have seeds, poke them out before cutting into smaller pieces. Reserve some of the rounds for garnish before cutting the tangerine slices into small bits. Add these bits to the tea concentrate as well.

Using the same liquid measuring cup, juice the remaining limes and tangerines. Don't worry about getting the seeds into the cup; you'll be straining it in a bit. Make sure to squeeze the crap out of the fruit! When finished, pour the juice into the pitcher through a mesh strainer. Add the 1/4 cup of triple sec and then the wine. If using a larger pitcher, you can certainly add the whole 750mL bottle. This recipe is sweet enough for it to have more. My pitcher is just 1 liter, and I didn't have enough room for all of it due to my very juicy fruit!

Stir gently and refrigerate for an hour before serving. Garnish your glasses with the reserved slices of tangerine (and lime, if desired). Limes are a bit tart, so I would only use them as garnishes if you like them (like me)!

And if you like this recipe, you may also be interested in my first cookbook, Summertime Sippers. It's filled with 15 other great drink recipes including two more recipes for sangria! Visit the book shop for more information.

Stay In The Loop!

Sign up for the Monthly Lizz Delicious Newsletter! You'll be automatically entered into giveaways and will receive exclusive recipes right in your inbox. Powered by MailChimp, your contact information is safe with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment