Vegan Christmas Recipe Roundup

I don't typically write a lot about the holiday season. Primarily, I share a few recipes to help my readers make their holidays more festive. But, you know, I do like writing a lot and I have made a point this year to write a bit more about how to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. It's been a lot of fun! There really are so many things that can be written about. Unfortunately, I always seem to run out of time for which to use in sharing my ideas. The holidays are, after all, about enjoying yourself. Since starting the Lizz Delicious blog I promised myself that blogging would never get in the way of living my life. So I've spent a lot of my free time this month being festive with friends and family. It's been really fantastic.

Originally, I had wanted to explore all of the different ways that we can do more with our veganism by being conscientious shoppers during Christmas. I wanted to explore shopping local, buying fair trade, and making homemade gifts. It didn't take me very long to realize, though, that these are things I can explore year round. Consequently, I've decided to focus my blog on these things in the coming year. Maybe I should consider it my New Year's Resolution! But for now, let's take a look at some recipes that will make your holiday season a little brighter, and cruelty-free!

Traditional Inspired Recipes
If you're looking for old-fashioned Christmas recipes with a vegan twist, these ones may be right up your alley. They're a great option for when you'll be dining with guests, too.
Handmade Vegan Gifts In Jars
I'm partial to cookie mixes in mason jars. My family used to make them professionally for about a decade. They're quirky, fun, and really do make great gifts. I've included two of my recipes here, plus some made by other bloggers for non-mixes.
  • Tomato Jam - an instructional video from +Veggietorials that shows you how to make tomato jam. Would go great with some homemade pepper jelly, too!
  • DIY Limoncello - an Italian after dinner drink which is easy to make. My family was going crazy over this stuff last Christmas.
  • DIY Vanilla Extract - a tutorial from the very famous Kitchn. A great gift for any avid baker.
  • Sugar Cookie Mix In A Jar - an easy and especially tasty vegan sugar cookie recipe, great inside of a jar and out. Also included in the link are in-depth instructions on making gifts in jars and recipes for vegan hot cocoa mix and chocolate spice (or "hospitality") cookies, both in jars, from an excerpt of my book Vegan Glass Jar Goodies.
  • Pancake Mix In A Jar - this mix makes my favorite type of pancake; buckwheat! Click on the link for instructions on how to make the mix suitable for giving in a jar. Also included are two other recipes from the same book, Vegan Holiday Treats. You can also watch a tutorial for this recipe in the following video (click here if you can't see it)!

Recipes for Gift Baskets
I don't know about your family, but my aunts and cousins exchange gift bags full of sweets every Christmas. As you know, I don't live anywhere near them. But I do try to join in by making my mom, dad, and brother some treats. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions!
  • No-Bake Peppermint Cake Balls - one of my favorite creations! They can also be flavored with a different extract if peppermint isn't your thing. Make cookie crumbs, vegan cream cheese, extract, roll into balls, and dip in chocolate. They will look and taste unbelievable.
  • Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies - these look simply divine. The recipe was made for the Keepin' It Kind vegan cookie swap. Tons of other awesome cookie recipes can be found on the site by clicking here.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies - this recipe from my third book uses both all-purpose and whole-wheat pastry flour for improved flavor and texture. As a bonus, two other recipes are found at the link, which is a preview of the cookbook.
  • Cranberry Orange Bread - my mom used to make a batch every year. Here's a vegan version that sounds fantabulous.
I'm about to get started assembling my gift bags this afternoon. I just ordered holiday cards (they say "Happy Pawlidays") that I need to pick up. Later on this evening, I hope to finish my holiday shopping, too. I'm very excited for a little Christmas respite! I hope you enjoy the rest of your December!

No comments:

Post a Comment