Seapoint Farms Roasted Edamame Review

There are so many things that can be done with soy beans. April is National Soy Foods Month and I've been devoting the majority of my posts to sharing my love of soy based items with my readers. One of the simplest ways that we can consume soy beans is as edamame. Edamame are soy beans. They can be eaten in a number of ways including boiled or roasted. Seapoint Farms, for instance, produces a number of varieties of roasted edamame. They contacted me a couple of weeks ago to see if I would be interested in reviewing their products. When I said, "yes!" I quickly received three flavors to try.

First up, traditional dry roasted edamame. If you've tried roasted soy nuts before you should expect a similar but lighter flavor. Roasted edamame are crunchy, dry, and have a flavor like peanuts though noticeably different. I have had regular dry roasted soy nuts before and I much preferred the roasted edamame Seapoint makes.

Next, I tried out their "Crunchy Coated" black edamame. These were, by far, my favorite! They are a bit saltier. The crunchy coating gives it a bit of richness, too. Coconut oil is one of the ingredients, which may explain why I enjoyed them so much (it makes everything taste better!). Unlike the two other varieties they provided, the black "Crunchy Coated" edamame did not have any skins or flakes floating around in the bag. I liked that aspect of the experience a lot, though the flavor really was the best of the three.

Lastly, the berry blend is a trail mix style variety with dried pomegranate infused cranberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and edamame. The sweetness of the fruit mixed well with the savoriness of the edamame. Imagine eating traditional peanut based trail mix but with more flavor. This variety does have added sugar (my new fiend) but when enjoyed in small amounts anything with added sugar can be okay. At 8 grams of sugar per serving, enjoy in moderation. I really enjoyed the fruity pieces, though. Sometimes infused cranberries still taste a lot like cranberries, or they taste like chemicals, but these were very nice. The pomegranate flavor was really spot on.

As Chris and I are gung-ho about working out, weightlifting, etc. (she just signed up for her first 5K!), we were both considerably impressed with the amount of protein in one serving of edamame. Compared, for instance, to the same amount of almonds, the edamame offers twice the protein with about a third of the fat. That's really killer, but expected with something that's soy-based. We enjoyed our samples so much that she just bought a bag of their Wasabi flavored edamame to try out!

For those of you in the Austin area, you can find Seapoint Farms' edamame at Sprouts for less than $2 per bag. That's where we picked up the Wasabi variety. And where we will likely grab another bag of the Crunchy Coated ones whenever we run out!

If you'd like to find out more about Seapoint Farms' products, visit their website. And for a retail outlet selling their edamame near you, consult their Store Locations page.

Want more soy? Check out my latest recipe, Miso Soup with Tofu, Soba, and Cabbage. You can also take a look at all of my tofu based items by clicking here. And check back later this month for another soy-based recipe, this time using tempeh. Thanks for reading! And, don't forget, if you have a soy-based recipe you really enjoy, feel free to share it with me by leaving a comment. I may include it in my final soy-related post, a recipe round-up at the end of April!

Stay In The Loop!

Sign up for the Monthly Lizz Delicious Newsletter! You'll be automatically entered into giveaways and will receive exclusive recipes right in your inbox. Powered by MailChimp, your contact information is safe with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment