Annapurna's World Vegetarian Cafe

So this is super crazy, you guys, but it's just over three months until my wedding! I cannot get over how close we're getting, not to mention how much stuff the two of us still need to do before the big day. I am beside myself with giddiness, glee, and excitement. This weekend will be all about the food. Yes, I'm a crazy whackjob and am trying to devise a way to cater the thing myself. It's not that unrealistic, okay? For starters, we're expecting less than 30 people. It's also going to take place midday. I'm also going to have lots of help from my family setting up, if push comes to shove. I'm all about getting my hands dirty in order to get things done. That's actually how I have fun. But anyway! Fun times this weekend.

It's been almost two months since Chris and I headed to Santa Fe to scope out our venue, catering options, and hotel. Of course, we were also excited to go on a mini-vacation. Vegans are no different about travel than anyone else, you know? I absolutely needed to visit the vegetarian restaurants there. The two of us had dinner at Annapurna's World Vegetarian Cafe that Friday night. The ayurvedic vegetarian eatery boasts an extensive menu with daily specials and an ever-changing bakery case. A lot of the items are not only vegetarian but are also vegan, can be made vegan, or are also gluten-free.

For dinner, I ordered the lentil-based Veggie Burger. 


I expected something spicy but the lentil patty ended up being 100% palatable and not frightening to someone with a low heat tolerance like myself. I particularly enjoyed the bun! Light and fluffy. I may have tasted a bit of potato starch or flour in there. It had a sweetness to it I found to be quite pleasurable.


Chris, meanwhile, ordered the South Indian Sampler.


The combo plate featured a savory pancake stuffed with vegetables, a soup with dumplings, and a savory doughnut.


Of course, she loved everything.


I adored my masala fries. They were the spiciest portion of my meal and even though I had difficulty fitting all of this food in my belly I made sure that I finished them. And yeah, I ordered dessert.


The last time I had pecan pie it had been made by my grandfather. I wasn't really fond of it, but I wanted to give it another chance. After all, vegan and gluten-free pecan pie had to be different, right? Well, it was most definitely different than my grandfather's but I can't say my mind has been changed about this type of dessert. I enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't order it again. It's a texture thing. The flavor was great; delicate cinnamon and spice filling covered the chewy pecans while the doughy gluten-free crusty supported everything without getting mushy. I ended up eating mostly just the pecans and the crust. Gooey filling just isn't up my alley, I guess.

Chris indulged in a giant biscotti covered in chocolate. Now THAT was good. Also gluten-free. Soft and flavorful, definitely delicious.

I enjoyed the atmosphere the most. I mean, look at the light coming in through the window! The decor is exotic and inviting. Very soft music can be heard overhead. Outdoor seating is available, too. The deli style ordering is a bit of a challenge, especially if you want to add something on to your order. My advice is to make sure you order everything you may want when you get there so you won't have to wait in line again for dessert, or for another drink.

We had originally wanted Annapurna's to cater our wedding, but if all goes to plan I'm going to save a lot of money while being able to offer all of my guests food they're more familiar with. We'll see this weekend. At any rate, interested persons wishing to dine at Annapurna's can do so at any of their three locations; two in Albuquerque and one in Santa Fe. For hours and directions, visit www.chaishoppe.com.

If you'd like to read more about our weekend in Santa Fe scoping things our for our October wedding, take a look at this post here. You'll get to see photos from our venue! If you're interested in more vegan options in Santa Fe, you can also take a look at my Thai Vegan write-up

No comments:

Post a Comment