Three Months Left...

Well, we passed the three month countdown until our wedding day. It really does not feel like October 12th will be here in about 2.5 months. Chris and I have been so busy with things here that it has been very difficult devoting time to wedding planning. She has been especially distracted by work. Life in Texas has gotten rather complicated for us recently. In fact, the two of us have spent a lot of trying to figure out if we could afford to purchase a foreclosure house in rural northern New Hampshire on our current budget. One of the reasons we moved to Texas instead of New Hampshire after leaving West Virginia was because the cost of living here was so much lower than it was up there. Now it seems to be the same, even the reverse in some cases. It may not end up being better for us and/or our finances, but we'll take more comfort in knowing we have family very close by if we need help. The price on the home we were looking at went down by 16% recently. I am having my mother (a real estate agent!) take a look at it for us sometime this week.

My bridal ring set.
In the meantime, the crunch is really on now (for the wedding) and I've been trying to focus on all of the things we need to do. We've got most of the basics covered; the venue, officiant, hotel, my attire, and rings. We're trying to accomplish a few things while we're planning. While we want our wedding to be special we don't want it to cost a fortune nor do we want it to be terrible for the environment. We've ordered custom printed napkins and paper plates and straws. We'll be buying compostable plastic cups and bamboo cutlery to use while we're there. We bought non-diamond rings from a southwestern artist/designer. And we'll be having vegan food. The majority of it will be purchased from Whole Foods, mains, sides, salads, and potentially the cake. I'll also be making sweet treats like cookies and puffed rice treats for a candy/dessert buffet. That is the thing I am most excited about! I am ready and rearin' to order the candy from an online natural candy website but due to it being July I figured I should hold off for fear or the chocolate melting in the mail...

Because the two of us are quirky, Chris and I are coming up with some unique activities to make the day more memorable. She's learning how to DJ and we'll be having a dance contest for our guests. One of them will win a trophy. Also, I've printed "Wed Libs" to entertain everyone for at least a few minutes. And because we can't afford a photographer I have made a photo scavenger hunt game, too. This will also help us make sure we have photos of everything, in case we're too busy and forget to photograph something ourselves. And if that isn't enough things for me to craft, I am going to erect a DIY photo booth with forest themed backdrop and masks for everyone to play with!

Yesterday we went over the venue layout and determined where everything would be positioned. We also planned out the order of the day and determined how the ceremony will go. Like many same-sex couples we have decided not to include anyone else in the actual ceremony. While I asked my brother to be my Best Man, Chris's sister, her Best Man equivalent, is no longer coming and we were at a loss to come up with an alternative. So it'll just be the two of us and the officiant for now.

Our wardrobes still need completion. We ordered a suit for Chris from an online retailer based in India. No word on the progress! Hopefully it won't take too long. We both need shoes and accessories, though. But it seems like right now most of what needs to be done is to purchase things. Hooray! Oh, except for one very important thing.

I CANNOT DANCE TO SAVE MY LIFE.

In fact, I dance like a grandpa.

Any recommendations on good instructional videos would be appreciated!

Over the next two months I will be sharing with you all photos of my many various craft projects currently underway. Right now I am assembling a three tier dessert tray. I bought it at Hobby Lobby many months ago and am redecorating it to match our forest theme. That involves covering it in wood grain scrapbook paper and adorning it with artificial moss, flowers, critters, etc. This will be used for desserts. And I'll have to create owl or fox or little deer cake toppers if Whole Foods can, in fact, provide us with a vegan cake.

At some point throughout this process I'll try to remember to give you some recipes. Can't make any promises, though :-)

Thanks for reading! Y'all are the best!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lizz!

    I “nominated” you for the Dragon’s Loyalty Award today (I don’t understand this award, but I like your blog so you’re getting it).

    I just posted my 7 random facts on my blog and can’t wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete