Vegan Food Truck Friday: Red Rabbit Bakery

Last Friday, July the 12th, Austin's worker owned vegan baking cooperative opened their very own food trailer. Red Rabbit Bakery has been selling delicious baked goods to hungry Austin vegans since 2011 through retailers like Wheatsville. These locations often had a limited supply and some of their treats would regularly sell out, at least by the time I would try to get them. Now, however, ravenous fans of their confections will be able to buy them direct at their centrally located food trailer off of Airport Boulevard.

At my insistence, Chris and I went to their grand opening on July 12th. First, we stopped at The Vegan Nom for a couple of tacos. The air was hot, the tacos were hot, and we were hot. It was challenging but I liked it. When we arrived at the bakery location, I have to admit I wasn't really looking forward to standing in line. Unfortunately for me, though not for them, the lines were long and the temps still high. Thankfully, Black Star Co-op provided free beer to those waiting. Chris and I both had our SOLO cups filled up and we got in line for donuts as soon as we could. I amused myself by watching a number of people frolic in the inflatable kiddie pool that had been set up. A DJ blared loud music as well, and many, many people socialized underneath the canopies they had erected for the event.

About ten minutes after we got in line, one of the bakers took to a loudspeaker and informed us all that they were about to sell out of donuts. Between 15 and 20 people got out of line at that point. Chris and I stayed. We're optimists. And kind of donut crazed, too.

Every now and then a girl would race out of the trailer and cross out yet another type of baked good from their chalk board menu. At approximately 8:20, we had made it to the window and there were still donuts left. Huzzah! We both ordered the only type left, chocolate frosted, and picked up the last case of donut holes to go. We wolfed down our donuts and, as we did, another announcement- donuts were sold out. We had just made it.


Now, if you're reading this and thinking that I'm being a bit too passionate about these donuts you either have access to amazing vegan donuts yourself or you've never been vegan and been without donuts for years and years. It's also likely that you haven't had any personal experiences surrounding them. For instance, when I was little, my father used to bring my brother and I to Dunkin' Donuts on the weekends. My parents were separated and going out for breakfast was one of our favorite things to do. My brother Sean and I would both order two donuts and a hot chocolate. In fact, I enjoyed doing this so much that when I went vegan at age 16 I still went with them, ordering tea and fruit instead. When the two of us got older, Dunkin' continued to be a part of our daily lives. Working in a manufacturing kitchen, the early hours warranted breakfast on the go and a nice cup of coffee with it.

Red Rabbit's donuts are on par (in my memory) as the ones made by Dunkin'. The chocolate glazed especially is very similar to me. But it's better. Yep. And this is just one of the many reasons I adore them so. Not only are they terribly delicious, but they remind me of my childhood, my family, and working with food professionally. So much nostalgia in such a tiny bit of food. And if you aren't a huge donut fan you should know that they also produce muffins and other fabulous items. I purchased a "Cardamom Orange Cinnamon Roll" at Wheatsville several months ago and was blown away.

You can find the Red Rabbit Bakery food trailer at 701 East 53rd Street Monday through Friday from 7am to 1pm. On Saturday their hours are 8am to 2pm. The Red Rabbit folks will also be at the Mueller Farmer's Market at 4550 Mueller Boulevard on Sundays from 10am to 2pm. And, as mentioned previously, you can already purchase their donuts at retail locations throughout Austin. Be sure to visit their website, www.redrabbitbakery.com, for more information.


For more restaurant features like this, check out my other Vegan Food Truck Friday posts. Thanks for reading, and check back next week when I feature yet another vegan or veg-friendly food truck run right here in Austin, Texas!



Stay In The Loop!

Sign up for the Monthly Lizz Delicious Newsletter! You'll be automatically entered into giveaways and will receive exclusive recipes right in your inbox. Powered by MailChimp, your contact information is safe with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment