Veganized Recipe: Ina Garten's Potato Salad

This is the third post in a series here on the Lizz Delicious blog. These Veganized Recipes are based on those made by celebrity chefs and well-known non-vegan food bloggers. If you're interested in participating yourself, please reach out with your ideas. Email me at contact at lizzdelicious dot com or use the form at the bottom of my website!

Koko B's Veganized Recipe for Ina Garten's Potato Salad
Hey guys! My name is Koko Brill and I blog from Koko's Kitchen (http://www.kokoskitchen.com) I am really excited to be apart of this series of posts on Lizz Delicious. I absolutely love the Food Network and the Cooking Channel and all the celebrity chef personalities that go along with it. One of my all-time favourites is Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa…she is just the greatest! I love how she is always focused on using "good" ingredients, and although I am not always the biggest fan of what they are, I can appreciate her effort to use organic, artisanal, and top-quality goods. 


I've decided to veganize her recipe for potato salad. I thought this would be a fun one as it's loaded with dairy and eggs…quite a challenge! I didn't want to use a store-bought vegan mayo, either, but instead, create the whole thing from scratch. Just like Ina, I've used high-quality organic produce here and even added some greens for extra nutrients. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did, and I think it's a great option for upcoming spring and summer barbecues. Enjoy!

Thank you for having me Lizz! 

Koko xx



Ina Garten's Potato Salad Vegan Style

This creamy dill potato salad is totally vegan, although no one would be able to guess that. The rich, flavourful cashew dressing is perfect with new potatoes, greens, celery, and red onions. Enjoy this easy recipe at your next get-together with friends or family. Don't worry too much about using exact measurements or precise chopping. Just throw all the ingredients together, and taste, and adjust accordingly.

3 lbs small white potatoes
Large pinch of salt

Handful of greens of your choice. I used swiss chard, de-stemmed, and chopped but spinach leaves or even kale would work, too.

1 cup cup cashews
1/4 cup water
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup almond milk
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 tablespoons olive oil

Place the potatoes and salt in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are just tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then place them back in the empty pot. Cover with a lid and let the potatoes steam for 15-20 minutes. Throw in the greens of your choice after about ten minutes, and let them wilt.

Meanwhile, combine cashews, nutmeg and water together in a highspeed blender or small food processor and process until smooth. Start with a little bit of water and add until you have about a cup of the mixture, slightly thicker than mayo.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cashew mixture, almond milk, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, the two mustards, the dill, the garlic, and the salt and the pepper.

When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters and place in a large bowl. Pour enough of the dressing over them just to moisten. Add the celery, and red onion, and greens and toss well. Add more dressing if necessary. Serve cold or at room temperature.

For more recipes in this series, click here. And as a reminder, if you're a vegan blogger who would like to contribute a veganized recipe, reach out to me! Email me at contact at lizzdelicious dot com or use the form below. Thanks for the great recipe, Koko! Don't forget to stop by Koko's Kitchen for more of her great recipes.

10 comments:

  1. Yay, one of my favorite blog buddies KoKo is featured! Creamy dill potato salad is my thing! I usually use mayo in some potato salads, what a great idea to use cashew cream and other ingredients! Looks tasty and refreshing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! It's a genius idea, for sure :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rika!! I just love the creamy cashews with the onion and dill...mmmmm...

      Delete
  2. nice one Thats definitely a good I will be making them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks utterly delicious! ♥ I've really missed potato salad since quitting dairy. I can't wait to give your recipe a try Koko. I love how you ramped up the nutrient factor even further by using cashew cream instead of mayo. Ingenious! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon!! I hope you love it :-)

      Delete
  4. A fabulous improvement on plain potato salad...I love the flavor combo, especially the cashews and mustard with garlic and dill. Koko is so talented...thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete