Earth Burger - Now Open!

Make no mistake, my favorite vegetarian restaurant is +Green Vegetarian Cuisine  in San Antonio, Texas. That's why I was so excited to hear that they had decided to expand. They now have two locations in SA and one in Houston. They also recently opened their first +Earth Burger, a fast-food burger and sandwich joint that is 100% vegetarian.

I had been following this project since they started promoting it last year. I backed their Kickstarter, too. I just really wanted this project to come to fruition. Mostly because I want them to open a location in Austin, hahaha. When word came that they would be open at the beginning of June, I excitedly asked my partner if we could go there for my birthday. And, as I am spoiled, she said, "of course," and we celebrated my 32nd day of birth by going to San Antonio during Earth Burger's opening weekend.

First, the two of us biked along the San Antonio greenway on a portion of the Salado Creek Loop. The temperature averaged 90 degrees but a cool breeze and a steady speed kept us from burning in the Texas heat. Absolutely dreamy! Take a look.


Big skies, vibrant colors, peace, and serenity.

I should mention, however, that this photo was taken just after I fell off my bike. True story! My shoelace got caught in my pedal, I braked, and proceeded to fall onto my side. So graceful. We tucked my laces into my shoes and moved on!


I really recommend this trail. And I wish they had something remotely as wonderful in Austin. I mean, really.





The portion of the trail we traveled is near the San Antonio International Airport. Seeing the planes fly by made us feel like little kids again. I have very fond recollections of getting French fries from McDonald's and driving out to the Manchester airport in New Hampshire with my brother and father, staring up through the front window of the car watching the jets land. It's rare that you can get so close to planes like that these days!

Needless to say, as a beginner biker I was pooped after our nearly 8 mile adventure. We couldn't get to Earth Burger fast enough as far as I was concerned. Thankfully, it took us less than 10 minutes to get there!!

I feel odd saying it this way, but unfortunately by the time we arrived there weren't any seats available, inside or out. I'm definitely glad to have seen it so busy. Immensely so. I just would have preferred some air conditioning! Instead, Chris and I pulled up a patch of grass and enjoyed our meal.


Pictured above is Chris's "Spicy Chik-n Sandwich." It came topped with tomato, onion, lettuce, and Sriracha vegan mayo. She loved it.


And I ordered the "Chopped BBQ Sandwich" made from TVP and drowning in a sweet barbecue sauce. It came with onions and pickles. The bun was so light and fluffy. Really flavorful. It paired excellently with the seasoned crinkle fries and Dr. Pepper. Hey, it's Texas. Kind of required.

We had ordered desserts and were told that we could come back in to pick them up when we were finished. I had a concern for the well-being of my ice cream sitting outside. I wanted coconut soft serve not coconut soup. I gobbled it up in the car on the drive home. I just love the texture of their soft serve. Thick, creamy, and smooth. The coconut flavor was light but strong enough to put off a coconut hater for sure. 

There are a number of reasons why you should visit Earth Burger. First and foremost is obviously that the food is delicious. Then there's the fact that everything is affordable. A combo is $8 and that includes the burger/sandwich, fries, and a drink. It filled me up so much that I didn't eat dinner until 8 o'clock later that day. Also, the concept is a long time coming. We need more vegetarian fast food restaurants. We also need them to be locally owned and vegetarian operated, just like Earth Burger and Green. This family goes above and beyond, too. Did you know that they use biodegradable plastic cups and straws? Brilliant.

Let's all make sure we support Earth Burger. While no plans have been announced to expand into other cities, the best way to plant that bug in their ear is to give them your business. You can find them at the Park North Shopping Center, 818 NW Loop 410 in San Antonio open Sunday to Thursday 10a-10p and Friday 10a-8p. CLOSED SATURDAY. Visit www.EatAtEarthBurger.com for more information and for a complete menu!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome they opened this up in San Antonio, too. I hope they consider expanding to Austin one of these days. Drive-throughs are made for parents with sleeping children. I was wondering what you thought about most of their products being made with Gardein. Also, I think the chopped barbecue sandwich is made of seitan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew! You're right about the BBQ sandwich. I'm not sure what I was thinking there, lol. On your other point I am torn regarding their heavy use of Gardein products. However whenever I consume one of the menu items that uses their products I am blown away at the awesomeness of it. They do take it to a new level. If it were the same as making it at home I wouldn't like it as much but they do a phenomenal job. I really can't hold that against them!

      Delete