Thai Vegan Santa Fe


It's been a few weeks since Chris and I returned from our weekend in Santa Fe, NM though it seems like it has been ages. We went there in order to get our marriage license well in advance of our wedding date. As obsessive planners, neither of us could resist the opportunity to do so. We left during the wee hours on May 15th. Approximately 12 hours later, we were checked into our hotel, poodle in tow, tired and hungry and eager to enjoy the local vegan fare.

Our first destination in Santa Fe was Thai Vegan. The quiet and welcoming atmosphere treated us upon our arrival. After a 12 hour drive the two of us weren't up for anything loud or crowded and Thai Vegan ended up being relaxing and satisfying. A number of other two person parties sat in the main dining room. The nice men sitting next to us swapped stories about vision quests and spiritual experiences. Very Santa Fe.


With so many options on the menu I found it extremely difficult to choose my entree. Ultimately, I went with the Pineapple Fried Rice with the pepper steak soy “beef.” In dishes like this, I usually fawn over the pineapple. In this rendition, though, the cashews were my absolute favorite part. They were flavorful, crunchy, and abundant. I loved, loved, loved them. Maybe they were roasted beforehand. I'm not really sure, but zomg amazing.


Chris, meanwhile, tried out the Pad Thai. It just made the most sense to her. This is the woman who made a point to eat KFC in Kentucky and watch Indiana Jones in Indiana, so eating Pad Thai at a Thai restaurant was something she felt genuinely compelled to do. While she enjoyed the flavor and the portion size (it was huge!) she wasn't very fond of the texture. She expects that perhaps on the weekends or during busier hours it would taste more fresh. Ultimately, though, she seemed to enjoy it.


The two of us liked our dishes so much that we ordered dessert, even though we were absolutely full. When our server brought us our Green Tea coconut ice cream, it was topped with two types of beans and some jelly candies. Neither of us had any idea what our dessert was made from. Yes, I was hesitant at first. I do, however, consider myself to be foodventurous. I dove in and… yum! I ate almost the whole thing by myself.

There are a number of things I like about Thai Vegan and would definitely recommend them because of. First, the flavors are great. Second, the portions are hefty. Third, the atmosphere is wonderful. I felt like the prices were a tad on the high side, but then we went to four other restaurants throughout our trip and found high prices there, too. Can’t hold that against them, I guess! Santa Fe is just expensive.

I liked Thai Vegan a lot. I am very much looking forward to going there again in October. They also have two locations in Albuquerque. Information and full menus are available at www.thaivegannm.com. The Santa Fe location is at 1710 Cerillos Rd. Santa Fe, NM 87505. Hours are Monday through Saturday, 11am to 9pm and Sunday 5pm to 9pm. Also, they cater. And we may use their services for our wedding.

Speaking of the wedding, this weekend is devoted to determining our budget. We've booked our officiant at last, by the way, and really just need to focus on food and decorations now. There are less than four months before our nuptials. I can't believe it. I'm also nearing my 2nd anniversary at my current job. Which is crazy! They say as you get older time goes by more quickly. I didn't use to think that was true. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'd like to think what's more accurate is that I'm enjoying myself more than I was a few years ago. Time flies when you're having fun. I like that saying a lot more. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment