Vegan Oven Fried Pickles

Today is Saturday and I thought I should take a break from the all text, no pictures Vegan Mofo write-ups and give y'all a little recipe to try.

It's possible that if you live outside of Texas you've never heard of fried pickles. I admit, when I first moved here I was reluctant to try them. Chris finally encouraged me to try them at a trip to the Alamo Drafthouse (they are not vegan there, do not order them thinking they are please) and I found myself converted. When she went vegan after we moved to Austin, she requested vegan fried pickles for a birthday and I attempted to provide her with them.

The thing about making fried pickles at home, though, is that they get smoky. Even though we bought a fryer and were obsessed with it for the first few months we owned it, the smokiness factor wore us down pretty quickly. The fried pickles I made with them were tasty, sure, but they did not behave like the ones in the restaurants. Namely, the breading would not stay on the pickles. Alas.

I hadn't tried making them in a very long time and was determined to whip some up for Chris's birthday this year. Then I was stricken with a stomach bug and spent the first day of Labor Day Weekend incapacitated. Ugh. I finally tried a new recipe for "oven-fried" pickles tonight and they came out excellently. So I thought I would share the recipe with you. These fried pickles are spicy, crispy, and sour all at once. A real taste sensation. I hope you like them!

This recipe is adapted from / inspired by the one on skinnytaste.com.

INGREDIENTS
1 24-ounce jar of sea salt & black pepper pickle slices
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup organic cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Soy milk
Peanut oil

DIRECTIONS
Brush a small amount of the peanut oil over a cookie sheet. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Drain the pickles and lay them on some paper towels, then pat as dry as possible.

Place a small amount of plain soy milk in a small bowl. Combine the other ingredients in another bowl.

Dip each pickle slice into the soymilk and then into the breading mixture. Toss and press lightly to coat the slices in breading. Lay the pickles on the cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Serve with melted vegan butter, Veganaise, or even barbecue sauce. Yum!

Makes 2-4 servings, depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment