VMofo: Vegan-Friendly Clothing

This week's posts are going to be all about vegan friendly fashion and today's post is devoted to clothing. There are a few specific companies that are devoted to making vegan friendly and eco-friendly fashions and I'd like to start off by sharing my favorite, Herbivore Clothing.

Based in Portland, one of the USA's top vegan cities, Herbivore specializes in fashionable print tops with stylish designs and clever details. They are the makers of the "Bacon Had A Mom" t-shirt, for instance. The material they use in their apparel is also environmentally responsible. The "Good Luck Elephant" shirt I have in my wardrobe, just as an example, is made with hemp and organic cotton. In addition to apparel, Herbivore also sells accessories like belts, stickers, buttons, purses, and even kitchen gadgets like stainless steel straws. If I were ever going to start a vegan fashion business, Herbivore would be the standard to which I would hold my own merchandise.

There are a few high fashion vegan companies out there right now, which I could definitely recommend because their items are beautiful, but I'm what I would consider "too practical" and would never actually buy anything from them. I would rather spend $200 on groceries as opposed to a shirt, essentially. You could call me cheap, but hey, I have my own priorities. So, the other store I'd like to mention is Alternative Outfitters because, like Herbivore, they are what I would consider more affordable.

In addition to t-shirts, Alternative Outfitters sells vegan friendly shoes, boots, and faux wool coats (excellent for winter) that are adorable. They also happen to be on clearance right now so go snag one for just over $30 by clicking here.

If you're already vegan, you may have already heard of both of these companies. So what about when you're out shopping and you see something you like? How do you know if it's vegan?

This little wikiHow has excellent advice, though just being sure to read labels is the best way to do it. Look for anything that avoids the terms leather, silk, cashmere, angora, wool, down, or textile, which is extremely vague and really can mean anything. You can also try to be more eco-friendly while shopping and choose manufacturers that use organic cotton, bamboo fiber, or hemp in their product lines.

Are there any brands of vegan-friendly apparel or accessories that you're fond of? I'd love to hear about your favorite vendors so don't hesitate to leave me a comment. Tomorrow's topic will be jewelry! Thanks for reading! For my other Vegan Mofo posts, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment